Tuesday 15 January 2013

My First Swatch! Lush Lacquer's 'Salt n Peppa'

It seems fitting to me to begin my swatch posts with the polish that got me hooked on indie brands.

At some point in the middle of 2012, while reading various polish blogs, I learnt about the infamous 'Connect the Dots' polish by Lynderella. Since I like my polish to come without drama, and not too bank breaking, I started looking around at similar polishes. I stumbled across a few blog posts, like this one and this one, and started searching out which ones I could get my hands on.

I was particularly taken by the shimmery glitter in Lush Lacquer's 'Salt n Peppa', and was pleased to find their etsy store, and, even more excitingly, that they would post to New Zealand. I looked through their collection and fell in love with so many colours- I wanted them all.

And then when I saw they did mini bottles, I was over the moon. I immediately ordered 8 mini bottles, including 'Salt n Peppa', and eagerly awaited their arrival.

'Salt n Peppa' is a clear base, with large and small square, small hex and bar glitter in black and white, with a sprinkling of holo glitter for a bit of shimmer, and comes in two sizes- regular and mini.




I usually wear this over a variety of colours, to spice up a plain manicure, but for this swatch I wanted to show it on its own, to really show it off. In the picture below I am wearing two coats of 'Salt n Peppa' over a coat of Sally Hansen 'Miracle Cure' as a base (my nails are going through an unhealthy phase, and I'm trying to stop the peeling) and one coat of Orly 'Sec N Dry' topcoat. The texture isn't completely smooth, but if that bothers you I think an additional topcoat would solve that issue.



I think the formula is pretty great- not too thick, not too runny, and just the right amount of glitter. I didn't have to place any for my manicure here. As you can see from the big bottle in the first picture, the glitter will settle, but I just invert the bottle for a minute before using, and have no issue getting the bigger squares onto the brush.

The manicure lasted me three days, which is about average for me and what I expect to get out of my polish! I didn't get any chips, but I did have to change the polish when a couple of nails popped off- I don't know why but sometimes, regardless of what polish I wear, it just happens! On people who don't have this problem, I would say that 'Salt n Peppa' would hold up to average wear and tear quite well. Normally it's annoying when the polish pops off, but for the purposes of swatching glitter topcoats worn on their own, it's quite cool to see:


The bubbles seem to be from my too-thick application of the basecoat, rather than the polish itself, but I think it looks pretty good on its own, which I don't think you can say about all topcoats!

It does look gorgeous over most colours too though! My BFF is currently wearing two coats of 'Salt n Peppa' over one coat of Chi Chi 'Relax, Don't Do It', and kindly let me have a photo of it to include in this post.


If you give Lush Lacquer polish a try, be warned! The lure of mini polishes and the vast array of beautiful colours might suck you in. As you can see from the photo below, I'm definitely hooked, and can't wait until they release their next collection, which I think is just in time for Valentine's Day


All of my minis (21!), lined up on the windowsill- seeing them all makes me want to wear them all, right now! If only I had more fingers!

Besides the fabulous polishes, what I love about Lush Lacquer is their customer service- beautiful polishes will keep me buying, but amazing customer service is what makes me recommend things to people, and I cannot recommend Lush Lacquer highly enough. The large 'Salt n Peppa' bottle in the picture at the top of this post was actually given to me following a wee snafu with my Halloween polish order, an issue which they addressed so quickly and professionally that it's made me a fan for life! I can't wait to see, wear and swatch more of their amazing polishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment