Saturday 30 March 2013

Nail Art: Easter Egg polka dots

Ah Easter. There's nothing like a long weekend, and while for most of the world Easter gets everyone into the spirit of spring, down here in NZ it signals we're slowly but surely heading towards winter. For me, Easter means a lamb roast for dinner, and maybe a spot of baking.

When I was a kid, it meant chocolate. These days, chocolate doesn't play any role in my life as I'm allergic (something that luckily didn't kick in until my teens) and in particular the little caramel filled eggs with the polka dot foil wrappers. I loved them, more than any chocolate bar themed egg. There was something about them- sweet and gooey and oh-so Easter-y.

So when I sat down to think about how to paint my nails this Easter, they sprung to mind. Most people would choose pastel colours this time of year, but autumn to me is deeper, jewel toned colours, and that fit in nicely.

Yum! Easter egg nails! Almost makes me wish I could eat the caramel eggs I have clutched in my hand here.





For the base colours I used A-England Holy Grail (for the gold), OPI Die Another Day (for the red) and my brand new Chick polish Raven's Egg (for the blue). I used two coats of each of these. I chose these colours because of their shimmer/metallic finish, which is a really good match for the foil of the actual eggs. For the dots, which I did with a medium sized dotting tool, I use OPI Alpine Snow.


I was really pleased with how this turned out! I'm not awesome when it comes to dotting tools (for some reason I shake a lot!) so it's always a case of me having to brace myself, but I think they came out pretty evenly.


Now I have some lovely Easter-y nails, and my lovely roommate has gracefully agreed to dispose of the eggs for me. :D 

2 comments:

  1. Those dots are so perfect and crisp! Whenever I use a dotting tool they never look that good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learnt I need a decent amount of polish on the dotting tool- I used to be worried it'd splodge everywhere and only use a bit and then they'd look really wobbly and faded. Now I accept that my dots will be bigger than the dotting tool (I always used to assume they'd be exactly the same size as the tool, for some reason) and use a big bit of polish and carefully dot it on quickly. They're still not perfect, but I'm getting much better- steadying my hand helps a huge amount too!

      Delete