Saturday 26 January 2013

Femme Fatale swatches: Sinister Calling, Glinting Lodestone and Quivering Heart

Oh boy! This is going to be a mammoth post!

A couple of weeks back, my Femme Fatale polishes arrived from Llarowe.com and I ripped the package open with glee to find these three:

                                      L-R Sinister Calling, Glinting Lodestone, Quivering Heart

I couldn't wait to try them, so last weekend, I tried on Sinister Calling, and today I tried the other two. I used a PVA base to minimise cleanup, and it worked a treat! Sinister Calling lasted 24 hours before one finger fell off, and I peeled the others off early, but I expect they would have lasted about the same.




Sinister Calling is a gorgeous purple jelly base, packed with blue and purple shreds, hexes and flecks, and holo silver bars and stars. I fell in love with this one when I first saw it, which is why I tried it first.

This is two coats, and I think it'd make a lovely topper for a variety of colours. I wanted to see if I could get the purple base to show, so I added another coat:

It's gorgeous, but I think I'm going to mostly wear it as a topper- either over black or white, or purple, to really make the blue and silver pop.

Here's a close up, so you can see how lovely and deep the purple really is. I love-love-love the pop of blue in it, and the stars are really numerous and make such a lovely addition to the polish.

Moving on! Next up I tried Glinting Lodestone.

This is one of those polishes where I don't think the swatches I've seen before do it justice. It is gorgeous. I didn't think I'd like this one- I got it for my BFF- but as is always the way, when I think I won't like a polish, I end up loving it best of all. There's so much going on in this polish- various sided blue hexs, purple and green squares, tiny flecks of blue and orange and those gorgeous teal blue diamonds.


This is just one coat, but I think it's lovely even just like this. The base is a sheer blue jelly, and it builds up beautifully.
Two coats - if you're not worried about VNL, then you could happily stop there.
Three coats- Gorgeous!
And a close up. Look at those diamonds! Love it! I know I'm going to be wearing this polish a LOT (don't worry, my BFF lives with me and we share polish, I'm not stealing it from her!).

I finally got hold of some matte topcoat- Rimmel London Pro Matte Finish- and eager to try it out, I put a coat over this polish.

Matte-ified on left, regular Orly Sec n Dry topcoat on right. Ignore the funny angle and how weird it makes my middle fingernail on the right look! I really like how it looks with a matte finish.

I was super reluctant to take this polish off, but I wanted to swatch the third polish too. I wore this one all morning and into the afternoon, and I'll definitely be wearing it again soon.


Quivering Heart is a whole mess of bold red glitter in various sizes- from tiny flecks up to big hexes, with various shaped and sized black glitter, possibly a hint of pink shimmer and a few black hearts.

I say a few hearts because I had a hell of a time getting any out- in three coats, I managed to find one heart. I'm hoping there are more, and they're just hiding at the bottom.

I actually had a lot of trouble applying this polish. The other two went on smoothly and I only had to place glitter once or twice. This one was much thicker, and the glitters seemed to clump together. Still, I persevered! At two coats, because of the clear base, it looked patchy, so the picture above is with three coats.

It's absolutely gorgeous, which made up entirely for the pain of putting it on. Until I noticed:

Dun dun dun! Curling glitter. I thought it was just reflective glitter- which I actually quite like, but from the side view you can see the edges of the glitter sticking up. After two layers of topcoat, it was still scratchy and annoying.

So I took it off immediately. I was really disappointed because I'd been looking forward to this one most of all. Between the difficulty of application, the pain of trying in vain to find the black hearts, and the curled glitter I don't think I'll be using this one for awhile- which is a shame since I'd planned on it for Valentine's Day. I'm hoping I just got a bad bottle- I can't find any other complaints about this polish, so I hope that's the case!

All in all, I can't wait to order more Femme Fatale's next time they're in stock. Several of them are on my Wish List and hopefully I'll be able to get my paws on them. I'll definitely be wearing Sinister Calling and especially Glinting Lodestone again, and I'll try Quivering Heart again another day- perhaps one coat as a topper.

No comments:

Post a Comment