Saturday 9 February 2013

Swatches: Emily de Molly Harmony, Jindie Tried and True and Gloss n Sparkle Unicorn Droppings

There's nothing quite like finding a stack of parcels in your mailbox, and it's even more exciting to find most of them are holding nail polish!

Yesterday, the Different Dimension polishes I ordered last week arrived, super quickly which was very impressive, and I can't wait to give them a try. This morning I woke up excited, because I knew there were several more packages that should be arriving soon (about six, I think which is both marvellous and horrifying, as I'm sure my bank balance won't be happy with me!) and some of them are a bit overdue. Alas, there were none, so we went about our errands for the morning, sure there would be more when we got home. At 1pm, there was still nothing, but later in the afternoon I glanced out the window and saw a flash of white envelope. I ran out in glee and skipped back, clutching the stack of parcels.

My very first Elevation Polishes, from the end of January restock were in one of the parcels, and my roommate's Llarowe package had somehow managed to beat mine to our house.

Immediately we opened them, and I tried to figure out which ones to try first. My roommate's polishes won out. I should hasten to add that we share our collection (a great way to get twice as many polishes without having to spend all of the money) so I didn't steal them away from her. Both polishes she received were glitters in white cream/jelly bases, and it reminded me I didn't get around to posting my Emily de Molly Harmony swatches. So here are all three!

L-R: Emily de Molly Harmony, Jindie Nails Tried and True, Gloss n Sparkle Unicorn Droppings




First up, the Emily de Molly. Harmony is a gorgeous polish- it has purple, lavender, turquoise and white glitters in a very light grey cream/jelly base. I think there's a tiny bit of microglitter in there too for an added sparkle. When I bought this polish, I wasn't entirely convinced, but the moment I put it on, I loved it! My roommate, who has a One Night Stand relationship with polishes (she sees one, she wears it, she forgets about it) liked it so much she wants to wear it again- which is high praise!


I deeply regret only owning two Emily de Molly's, because they apply like a dream. This is three coats, to get plenty of glitter on the nail, but it's really almost opaque in two coats.


I got a few 'broken' glitters in my bottle, like the shard you can see on my ring finger here, which I quite like! It adds a bit more interest I think. Up close, you can see how gorgeous the glitters are in the base, which appears almost lavender-grey at times. One layer of topcoat, and it was perfectly smooth too!


I ended up wearing this polish for three days, and I have to once again sing the praises of this brand- they wear probably the best out of all of my polishes. As you can see here, there's some minor tip wear, and that's it. I rarely wear polish for more than three days, but it's nice to know if I wanted to wear it longer, a simple swipe of the brush along the tips would refresh it and make it look good as new!


Next I tried Jindie Nails Tried and True. This polish has a white cream/jelly base, and is packed with hexes and squares of blue, purple, silver, gunmetal and a bit of pink.



The formula of this polish was quite thin, which meant I had to take a bit more care with it to ensure it didn't flood my cuticles. On the other hand, the formula proved to be perfect for glitters of this size- so often with thicker formulas, I end up with glitter pooling by the tip as they're pulled with the brush and polish. These stayed in place, which made it much easier to get the look I wanted. This is three coats on its own, and again this one was opaque at two coats, but I wanted to pack on the glitter!


I don't think my topcoat (Orly Sec n Dry) liked this polish very much, as you can see the bubbles quite clearly here. They're definitely in the topcoat, rather than the polish though. Next time I try this polish, I'll switch my topcoat and see what difference it makes. I used one layer of topcoat, and the texture was still bumpy, so you may need a couple of coats if you need your nails smooth.

Finally, I have Gloss n Sparkle's Unicorn Droppings. I'm waiting on a few more of this brand to arrive in the post, and I'm really glad they're on the way, because I loved the formula.


Unicorn Droppings is another white base, although I think this one leans much more towards a jelly than a cream, and is much more sheer. It works very well to make the matte glitters, in a rainbow of colours, pop! And then, to top it all off, some holographic microglitter, which pushes it from fun into sophistication.


This is three coats on its own, and I felt it really needed the three to stop my nail line showing through. As you can see, I has a bit of an issue with glitters tending to clump together, rather than spread, but I quite like that effect. This polish was bumpy with just one layer of topcoat, so you might need two for a smooth nail.


Here you can see how well the matte glitters show through the white jelly. I think it works well- mutes those underneath, while the ones on top get to shine! If the rainbow glitter is too much for you, Gloss n Sparkle also do a more muted version called Unicorn Spawn. For me, I like to go big or go home when it comes to my nails, so I love this one!

When I first got into indie polish, I was suspicious of the white bases for glitters, but I am a total convert. I think white polish looks elegant, and adding colourful pops of glitter makes the look much more fun! All three of these polishes look great on their own (I don't tend to use undies for polishes like these) but layering over whites/greys would conserve polish while still getting the look, and I think layering over other colours could produce some interesting effects! 

No comments:

Post a Comment