Saturday 23 March 2013

Swatch: piCture pOlish Tiffany and Big Ruby nail tattoos

I've had piCture pOlish Tiffany sitting in my collection for awhile, and haven't gotten around to trying it. In all honesty, I'm a bit wary of pale creme polishes like this- I always assume it's going to take a tonne of coats and can make my skin tone look a lot redder than it really is.

Then the other day my order of nail tattoos from Big Ruby showed up- including one set that has lots of little moustaches, and I knew the perfect colour to complement the tattoo would be Tiffany!


I really love how it turned out! The moustache is a bit of whimsy on a beautifully creamy polish base.




Tiffany is a pale blue/green creme polish. I'm assuming it's designed to be like a Tiffany's blue colour, but it's a bit paler than that to my eye. Still gorgeous though. It does give my fingers a bit more of a redness than they really are, but the polish itself is so amazing I can't bring myself to care! And I was completely wrong about needing a tonne of coats- this is just two! The first coat was a bit streaky, but the second evened everything out perfectly. I'm also a messy polish painter, and this cleaned up like a dream. Also, something I really love about piCture pOlish is the little tag lines on each polish, tailored to each colour. This one says 'diamonds for breakfast' which I think is adorable.



I'm not sure where I first saw Big Ruby nail tattoos advertised, but I'm glad I discovered them! I've never used any sort of nail tattoo or water decal before, so I can't compare them to any others, but my experience with them was great. The 'His' tattoos has 92 tattoos (two duplicated sheets) and the 'star designs' has 88 tattoos. For both of these sets it cost me around NZ$30, which I think is a fantastic deal. They're available here.


I put a layer of fast dry top coat onto my nails, and while I was waiting I cut out the designs I wanted to use, as instructed. Next time I'll make sure I cut them out first as it was a bit awkward using scissors with wet nails! The instructions were really straight forward- peel off protective covering, stick on nail, and then press a wet cloth to the backing paper, peel off the paper and ta da! You're done! Next time I'll make sure not to use a cloth as textured as I did- it pressed into the still-not-quite-dry polish and made a bit of an indentation, which smoothed out with the layer of topcoat I put on.


I decided just to use the moustaches on my ring fingers as a bit of an accent. I love that you have to get up super super close to tell where the clear section around the nail design ends. I can't wait for people who're used to me painting designs on my nails see this and try to figure out how these can be so neatly done!


I wanted to get a picture with flash in, to try and really capture that bluey-minty green gorgeousness of the polish. It's a real spring colour, I think. Just a shame that in this part of the world we're slowly heading towards winter! I think it'll make a great base for a winter manicure too though- maybe with some sparkly snowflakes on it. I love when a polish sparks my imagination like this! I also can't wait to try all of the nail tattoos- and I'm so impressed with the ease these ones went on, I'm probably going to have to order even more, to try all the other designs they have! What a great find!




No comments:

Post a Comment